Winter is one of those things that we know is going to come back every year whether we want it to or not.
Although the sparkling snow can be serene, and the outdoor activities are fun – there are certain precautionary measures you should take to ensure your home is taken care of for the season.
Follow our handy checklist below to get your home ready for the blustery weather!
- Inspect your roof for curled shingles
- Remove debris from gutters
- Remove snow as quickly as possible from your roof with a roof rake
- Remove snow and ice from external vents
- Replace furnace filters
- Check fireplace for soot
- Shovel snow away from house foundation
- Brush snow off of tree branches
- Have your fireplace cleaned
- Check/repair caulking around windows and doors
- Check/repair weather stripping on windows and doors
- Inspect exterior walls for cracks in the paint surface
- Clean all patio furniture. Store away or cover for season
- Clean and cover the BBQ
- Test and change batteries in smoke and carbon dioxide detectors
- Change the direction of ceiling fans
- Have a fire escape plan
- Put together a winter survival kit in case of a power outage
There are a lot of things that can be done to prep your home in addition to the items listed above. What other measures do you take to ensure your home is in tip-top shape for the winter season? Let us know in the comments!